Banner created with MyBannerMaker.com

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Maybe I Was Kinda Wrong??

Most of what I write on here start with a conversation I've had with someone. Today, my sister and I were discussing a ex-boyfriend of mine. Cory. Cory was like my first serious involvement with a guy. I think I was around 14 then. Since then he and I have been through hell and back. Anyone who knows me, know exactly what I mean. Trying to be serious while living in different states, me finding out he dealt with another guy while we were dealing with each other etc. However, we always end up back in each others corner. We've moved past all the hurt and have come to the point where we're content with our relationship. We love each other but realistically speaking, we can't be together right now. I understand why, and I'm okay with that. That's one of the ways I know I've grown and matured in this new year. Which brings me to my actual topic...

Lately, I've had another person in my past on the brain. Honestly I don't know why. It hasn't been on a "I miss him", "I want him back.." tip, it'll just be in the most random of moments his name will pop into my head. Which has kinda got me to reflecting. Now this guy, he was actually a pretty cool guy. We'd been in each others lives for a few years. He meant alot to me at one point, enough that I wanted to be in a committed relationship with him. For one reason or another, it just couldn't happen. He wasn't ready, emotionally or mentally. I tried to be patient and understanding but I just couldn't. I couldn't understand it at all. Here I am, this guy who is totally devoted to you and wants nothing more than to be with you and show you what I great thing we could have and you're saying no? So with that being said, I just cut him off altogether. Everyone always asks what happened and I'll never say anything negative about him because he never gave me a reason to, he was a cool guy..but I decided that I wouldn't settle for any less than I wanted. I wanted a relationship, he didn't. I think my feelings for him were too deep to claim  the "just friends" bit, so what else could I do but completely remove myself from his life? 

So now in dealing with Cory and being okay with the way things are with him, I'm like why couldn't I have done the same with this other guy? Why did I completely burn that bridge? I think my mentality was like "well if I can't have this than I want nothing from you at all...", which is horrible because he was a good friend. Always supportive, always trustworthy, always comforting. As I've stated, he was a truly great guy. It sucks that I couldn't allow myself to support him in getting his mental and emotional together when he probably needed it. It sucks that at a time where I could have probably used his support, I didn't have it. But who can I blame? 

Now, was I wrong? I mean, I shouldn't settle for anything less than what I want. I feel like that's what I was doing with him. It was like I couldn't have the relationship I wanted to have with him so I settled for what he was giving me to just have SOMETHING. And it shouldn't be that way...but at the same time, did I ruin a perfectly good friendship because I wanted to be selfish and couldn't be understanding? 

Tell me.....

4 comments:

  1. Boy! when is ur book coming out?....Seriously! But honestly i dont think ur wrong... i mean u feel what u feel can't help that...and i dont think its selfish to want more if the person ur with isnt giving that to. And when I say i understand I realllllllly do understand where ur coming from....We r both realists so u know we see both sides to everything...but sumthings u juss gotta let go and let be and everything will work out in the end. Besides believe me when i say u can't force someone to see all that u do for them...they gotta realize...Be u boo! (smile)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I'm like why couldn't I have done the same with this other guy? Why did I completely burn that bridge?"

    Everything happens just as it should. We grow as people an evolve with time and experience. You reacted the only way you knew how at that time. And your first instinct was the best. Never settle for less

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand what you are both saying. And I think you're both right. I shouldn't have settled for less and as I grow and mature I realize that and vow to never do it again.

    However, I just wonder if maybe I could have salvaged that friendship somehow. But as Toy Couture said, I reacted the only way I knew how at the time.

    I made the decision, I can't look back now...I have to deal with it.

    Thanks for your comments guys!

    ReplyDelete