Banner created with MyBannerMaker.com

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

ALBUM REVIEW: KEKE WYATT - WHO KNEW?


Songstress KeKe Wyatt has finally released her highly anticipated sophomore album "Who Knew?" today. After what seemed to be the longest transition ever, Ms. Wyatt has returned to give all her fans the amazing music they look forward to hearing form her. 

Each song is filled with emotion only to be accompanied by the beautiful and incomparable vocals of KeKe. While "Soul Sista" is still on my top 5 favorite albums ever, I will definitely say that this album truly shows her growth as an artist. She is no longer the "duet girl" who sang with Avant and had him all up and through her first album. This time it's all KeKe and it's absolutely amazing.



The album starts off with the title track and lead single "Who Knew?", in which KeKe speaks on an unexpected love. This is the perfect opening to the album and a classic reintroduction to people who may have been like "KeKe Wyatt? Yeah I think I remember her...", listening to this song, you have no choice but to remember this young lady. 

The second track is my favorite on the entire album. "Never Do It Again" proves more and more everytime you listen to it why KeKe Wyatt is such a phenomenal artist. KeKe sings about realizing she messed up with her man and knowing she has to fix it and change in order to keep her relationship tight. Other than on Tamia's "Smile", I don't think I ever felt so much passion and raw emotion on a song.

CHECK IT OUT !!

One that's sure to be a fan favorite is "Without You", it's a smooth ballad kinda reminscent of  her song "Call On Me" or even "Push Me Away"...it's a great track but for some reason it's nothing totally amazing to me. 

Now I love KeKe Wyatt so I'm sure you all are expecting me to say this album is 100% perfect. No. There are some places where she fell short. One of those places being in her cover of the song "Peace On Earth". I just don't like it. I can't get into it and it seems to inconsistent with the overall tone of the album. "I can't even breath without you..." to "How can we have peace on earth...", What?  It just throws me off and I'll even go as far to say I'm slightly disappointed with her vocals on this particular track. She could have done more. 

Also, this track "Gettin It". KeKe? Honey...No. It's another one of those tracks that just doesn't fit. The entire album  is  full of beautiful ballads and all of a sudden it's kinda...hood? Anyone who has or has heard her first album "Soul Sista" will remember thinking the same exact thing when the song "Bad Boy" came on. It reminds me of something Fantasia would have done on her second album. Extremely similiar to "Hood Boy" or even LeToya Luckett's "Gangsta Grillz". Although it's one of those silly songs that you'll find caught in your head...it should NOT have been included on the album. I find myself laughing everytime it comes on.

Overall, this album was a solid sophomore attempt.  Definitely one for the real fans and anyone who enjoys REAL vocalists. I can't see myself rushing home to listen to it after hearing it once or twice but you won't be disappointed.  I'd give it a 8/10. 



No comments:

Post a Comment